For as much as I enjoy a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, preparing oatmeal has always frustrated me. In the past year or two I’ve switched from instant oatmeal packets to oatmeal from scratch, hoping for a slightly healthier alternative. However, I’ve always struggled with the ratio of milk/oats and the cook time!
Too much milk results in mushy oatmeal that overflows in the microwave. Too little leaves the oatmeal chunky and dry. If you add milk in afterward, it cools off the oatmeal nicely but makes it too thin. The ratio must be right from the beginning! In the past I’ve continuously done 1/3 cup oats with 2/3 cup milk because proportionally that’s what the oatmeal box suggests.
What I tried differently this time was 1/3 cup old fashioned oats with only 1/2 cup milk and a dash of salt! That certainly did the trick!
The other thing is, I grew up with maple brown sugar instant oatmeal packets and so unsweetened oatmeal doesn’t do it for me :/ To sweeten up oatmeal and add flavor I have tried countless things! I’ve added brown sugar, cinnamon, maple extract, maple syrup, almond extract, pecans, blueberry syrup, and more! But last weekend I stumbled upon the perfect ratios and add-ins!!
With a dab of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon to finish it off, this oatmeal was perfect. I was so proud of finally finding a go-to oatmeal recipe that hasn’t failed me yet! And I bet it won’t fail you either!
Honey Cinnamon Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Yield: 1 serving Total Time: 4 minutes
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup milk (recipe tested with skim milk)
- dash of salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Put oats, milk, and salt in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high power for a minute and a half, watching during the last 20 seconds to make sure it doesn’t overflow!
- Stir the honey and cinnamon into oatmeal. Enjoy and be careful not to burn your tongue! (because I have done that many times!!)